Guernsey Fortifications 1940-1945
German Underground Hospital Ho7/40
This was the biggest German construction in the island located centrally in St Andrews It was originally two systems, then to be linked later on during the war. Mostly the tunnel is concrete lined with only a few unlined unfinished sections. This complex is now open to the public.
- 29,823 cubic metres of rock was excavated.
Guernsey with its deep valleys and sheer quarries was used to construct Cave Passage Installations (Hohlgangsanlage (Ho) for ammunition, fuel, and vehicle stores. As well as linking fortifications and act as shelters for troops. This page is only showing a brief few of those on the Island a new book is set to come out about the islands tunnels later this year.
La Vallette Ho4
Situated under Fort George in St Peter Port its primary use was to store submarine fuel for the proposed fuelling Station in Havelet Bay. It contained four large fuel tanks weighing in at 60 tons empty each. Three have now been removed however one remains and the tunnel is a now Military museum.
La Vallette Aquarium Ho8
Located near Ho4 this tunnel was actually built pre-war to gain access to Soldiers Bay. It was extended by the Germans with the addition of 3 lined Galleries. A 10.5 coastal defence gun was mounted at the southern entrance. It is now used as the Guernsey Aquarium.
- 1,834 cubic metres of rock was removed.
Rouge Rue Ho2
This tunnel was used as a ration store and is a large system capable of containing vehicles. It is totally concrete lined with two entrances one within a quarry and the other at the back of a modern estate, it still contains a vast colection of items from the war. However it is securely sealed off to the public.
- The total amount of rock removed amounted to 11,783 cubic metres.
St Saviours Ho12
Located at the Sous L'Eglise, St Saviours, this tunnel system was originally meant to be used as a ration store and is half concrete lined half not. However this tunnel was mostly used as a ammunition store rather than for rations. It has two entrances both in the valley. For a short period it was used as museum, however it runs beneath a Church and is now sealed off and privately owned.
- 10,694 cubic metres were removed and half of the complex is concrete lined.
Pictures and Plans MrBoojangles(YouTube), Axis Forum and Sam Peek.
Personal and Searchlight Shelter, Portelet
Located around the headland from Portelet Bay this tunnel is built into a rock face and is open for inspection with great care however and a torch is required. This small tunnel system has three personal entrances and a small room. Above the tunnel there is also a shelter for a searchlight. This tunnel is entirely concrete lined.
Backup Power Generating Tunnel, Rocquaine
This unlined tunnel is found behind the Imperial Hotel, near Portelet moorings it was still in construction at the end of the war and was uncomplete with bare rock surfaces. It had two entrances and two small branching corridors.
Lane/Old Museum entrance.